At Dawnfresh, corporate social responsibility a core part of how we do business. We operate to the highest standards in our relationships with the people and organisations with which we work, the communities where we operate and the environments on which we have an impact.
- Our fisheries are sustainable, operate in harmony with the environment and support the rural economies in which they are based.
- We invest in our people through our skills and employment strategy, as recognised by our Investors in People silver award.
- We manage our farms to the most stringent welfare standards, including Freedom Food and GLOBALG.A.P.
- Trout farming is among the most efficient ways of producing meat due to its feed conversion and protein retention ratio – meaning a relatively light carbon footprint, significantly better than those found with other animals, and without extra strain on natural resources.
- We are committed to promoting biodiversity and minimising our environmental impact.
- As a seafood company our focus is very much on water and waste reduction.
- Using energy produces greenhouse gases, which contribute to global warming. We aim to reduce our electricity and gas use, thereby reducing our carbon footprint.
- We aim to reduce solid waste by following the waste hierarchy and, where waste is unavoidable, to ensure we receive the best value. We have made considerable improvements in waste reduction in the past couple of years, and we’re proud to say that both our Uddingston and Arbroath sites are Zero Waste to Landfill.
- Depletion of natural resources is a critical issue facing society. We aim to reduce our demand on natural resources and minimise our impacts. As part of this, we’ve signed up to Courtauld Commitment 3, a voluntary agreement to optimise the whole supply chain, influence consumption behaviours and reduce waste, find innovative ways to make best use of wastes and to embed new criteria into design, buying and sourcing of raw materials.
- We currently deliver performance improvements year on year, and our achievements to date have been recognised by both M&S and the Green Apple environmental awards. We continually strive tofurther improve our environmental performance.
- We don’t just talk about our aspirations, we apply ambitious environmental targets in our business plans, and monitor throughout the year to ensure we deliver.
In 2017 we aim to:
- Reduce energy use by 10%
- Water consumption reduction by 10%
- Contribute to the overall Courtauld C2025 Commitment by:-
- Reducing the overall waste arising and better use of surplus food
- Reduce our greenhouse gases
Find out about our awards, accreditations & achievements